Papers and Reports
- Jacobson L, Hennen D. (2019). Improving the NEFSC clam survey for Atlantic surfclams and ocean quahogs. US Dept Commerce, Northeast Fish Sci Cent Ref Doc. 19-06; 89 p.
- Hofmann, E.E., E.N. Powell, J.M. Klinck, D.M. Munroe, R. Mann, D.B. Haidvogel, D.A. NarvÁEz, X. Zhang, K.M. Kuykendall. (2018). An overview of factors affecting distribution of the Atlantic surfclam (Spisula solidissima), a continental shelf biomass dominant, during a period of climate change. J. Shellfish Res. 37:821-831
- Kuykendall, K.M., P. Moreno, E. N. Powell, T. M. Soniat, S. Colley, R. Mann, D. M. Munroe. (2015). The exposed surface area to volume ratio: Is shell more efficient than limestone in promoting oyster recruitment? J. Shellfish Research. 34(2):217-225. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2983/035.034.0203
Kuykendall, Kelsey, Eric N. Powell, John M. Klinck, Paula T. Moreno, Robert T. Leaf. (2019). The effect of abundance changes on a management strategy evaluation for the Atlantic surfclam (Spisula solidissima) using a spatially explicit, vessel based fisheries model. Ocean and Coastal Management 169 (2019) 68–85 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2018.11.008
Munroe, D.M., D.A. Narvaez, D. Hennen, L. Jacobson, R. Mann, E.E. Hofmann, E.N. Powell, J.M. Klinck. (2016). Fishing and bottom water temperature as drivers of change in maximum shell length in Atlantic surfclams (Spisula solidissima). Estuarine and Coastal Shelf Science. 178
- NarvÁEz, D., Munroe, D., Hofmann, E., Klinck, J.N., Powell, E.N., Mann, R. & E. Curchitser. (2014). Long-term dynamics in Atlantic surfclam (Spisula solidissima) populations: The role of bottom water temperature. Journal of Marine Systems. 141. 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2014.08.007.
Pace, S. M., Powell, E. N., Mann, R, and M.C. Long. (2017) Comparison of Age-Frequency Distributions for Ocean Quahogs (Arctica islandica) in the Western Atlantic U.S. Continental Shelf. Marine Ecology Progress Series. Vol. 585: 81–98, 2017 https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12384
Pace, S. M., Powell, E. N., Mann, R, Long, M.C., and J.M. Klinck. (2017). Development of an Age-Frequency Distribution for Ocean Quahogs (Arctica islandica) on Georges Bank. J. Shellfish Res. 36: 41-53.
Poussard, L. (2020) An Analysis of Dredge Efficiency for Surfclam and Ocean Quahog Commercial Dredges. University of Southern Mississippi.
- Powell, E.N. et al. (2020). Growth and longevity in surfclams east of Nantucket: Range expansion in response to the post-2000 warming of the North Atlantic, Continental Shelf Research. 195 (2020): 104059
- Powell, E.N., Mann, R., Ashton-Alcox, K.A., Kuykendall, K.M., and M.C. Long. (2017) “Can we estimate molluscan abundance and biomass on the continental shelf?” Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 198: 213-224
Powell, E.N., Kuykendall, K.M., and P. Moreno. (2017). The death assemblage as a marker for habitat and an indicator of climate change: Georges Bank, surfclams and ocean quahogs, Continental Shelf Research, 142 (2017): 14-3
Powell, E.N. and R. Mann. (2016). How well do we know the infaunal biomass of the continental shelf? Continental Shelf Research. 115: 27
Powell, E.N., J.M. Klinck, D.M. Munroe, E.E. Hofmann, P. Moreno and R. Mann. (2015). The value of captains’ behavioral choices in the success of the surfclam (Spisula solidissima) fishery on the U.S. Mid-Atlantic coast: a model evaluation. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science. 47:1-27.
Powell, E.N., Klinck, J.M., Hofmann, E.E., Moreno, P., Kuykendall, K., Munroe, D.M., and R. Mann. (2016). Captains’ response to a declining stock as anticipated in the surfclam (Spisula solidissima) fishery on the U.S. Mid-Atlantic coast by model evaluation, Ocean & Coastal Management, 134, pp. 52-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.09.012
Powell, E.N. and R. Mann. (2018). Growth and Longevity in Surfclams East of Nantucket
Powell, E.N. (2018). Further Evaluations of the Relationship of Cobbles and Rocks to Surfclams
Powell, E.N., Kuykendall, K., and Moreno, P. (2016). An Analysis of ancillary survey data and surfclam fishery tow data for the Georges Shoals Habitat Management Area on Georges Bank and the Great South Channel Habitat Management Area.
Timbs, Jeremy, Powell, E., Mann, R. (2018). Assessment of the Relationship of Stock and Recruitment in the Atlantic Surfclam Spisula solidissima in the Northwestern Atlantic Ocean. J. of Shellfish Research, 37(5):965-979.
- Scheld, A. 2020. Economic Impacts Associated with the Commercial Fishery for Longfin Squid (Doryteuthis pealeii) in the Northeast U.S., Virginia Institute of Marine Science. March 2020.
61st Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Workshop (61st SAW) Assessment Report (NEFSC access to sections)
- Can we discern major meterological and environmental events in the growth record of the long lived clam Arctica islandica – Khalil Russell, M. Chase Long, Theresa Redmond, Sara Pace, Roger Mann, and Eric Powell.
- Biological reference points for Atlantic surfclam (Spisula solidissima) in warming seas – Daniel R. Hennen, Roger Mann, Daphne M. Munroe, and Eric N. Powell
- Identifying the Historical Footprint of the Surfclam (Spisula solidissima) and Habitat Relationships from a Long-Term Dataset of Death Assemblages and Sedimentology – Kelsey Kuykendall, Eric Powell, Roger Mann, and Paula Moreno
- The “East of Nantucket” Survey – Eric N. Powell, Roger Mann, Kelsey M. Kuykendall, M. Chase Long, and Jeremy Timbs
- Economic Activity Associated with SCeMFiS Supported Fisheries Products (Ocean Quahog & Atlantic Surfclams, 2016) – Thomas Murray
- The Ocean Quahog (Arctica islandica)– Roger Mann, Chase Long, Eric Powell, and Sara Pace
- Clam breakage in survey mode: implications and data correction – Roger Mann, Daphne Munroe and Kelsey Kuykendall
- Bivalve molluscs: barometers of climate change in Arctic marine systems – Roger Mann, Daphne Munroe, Eric Powell, Eileen Hofmann and John Klinck
- Estimating age in the ocean quahog – Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council Meeting, December 2013 – Roger Mann, Daphne Munroe, and Kelsey Kuykendall
- Kuykendall, K., Powell, E.N., Mann, R., and P. Moreno. (2016). Identifying the historical footprint of the surfclam Spisula solidissima and habitat relationships from a long-term dataset of death assemblage and sedimentology. American Fisheries Society 146 Annual Meeting. Kansas City, Missouri
Kuykendall, K., E.N. Powell, J. Klinck, R.T. Leaf, and P. Moreno. (2015). Management strategy evaluation for the Atlantic surfclam Spisula solidissima using a fisheries economics model. American Fisheries Society 145th annual meeting. Portland, Oregon
Mann, R. (2014). SCeMFiS, a new cooperative research effort. Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. Providence, Rhode Island.
Mann, R. D. Munroe, K. Kuykendall and E. N. Powell. (2014). A simple method for correction of breakages losses in clam surveys. Jacksonville, Florida
Pace, S., E.N. Powell, and R. Mann. (2016). Population age frequencies and evidence of multidecadal recruitment in the ocean quahog. American Fisheries Society 146 Annual Meeting. Kansas City, Missouri.
Pace, S.M., E.N. Powell, and R. Mann. (2016). Evidence of multidecadal recruitment in the ocean quahog, Arctica islandica in the western Atlantic Ocean. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES). Riga, Latvia
Powell, E.N., J. Klinck, E. Hofmann, P. Moreno, K. Kuykendall, D. Munroe, and R. Mann. (2015). Captains’ response to a declining stock as anticipated in the surfclam (Spisula solidissima) fishery. American Fisheries Society 145th annual meeting. Portland, Oregon.
Russell, K., Long, M.C., Redmond, T., Mann, R., and Powell, E. (2019). Can we Discern Major Meterologic and Environmental Events in the Growth Record of the Long Lived Clam Arctica islandica. National Shellfisheries Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.